Friday, April 24, 2015

Scrabble Hanging

The other day I pulled out my flute and played again for the first time in many months. I have realized that working full-time and caring for a beautiful baby girl doesn't give me much time to express my creativity and I find that I miss it a great deal. I miss putting effort into something other than changing a diaper or writing an email... this blog allows me to put effort into something that is just for me :)

So for today's blog I want to share with you a project that I have been working on for awhile:


No, I wish I could do something as awesome as this by the folks at Remodelaholic, but I scaled mine down a bit and decided to put my Scrabble pieces over a picture. In hind-sight, I could have figured out which picture I wanted first and then make the words in the direction of said photo (i.e. landscape or portrait). But I did it the hard way and went through several versions of the words I wanted to use before finally settling on both the picture and the design of the Scrabble letters.

I went to my local Goodwill store on the hunt for a picture frame and some more Scrabble tiles (we were missing like half the alphabet!). Karma was on my side because not only did I find an awesome colored frame but they had a half-off sale on all their board games!!! I got three boxes of Scrabble for only $5 :)

Frame

Pieces
Note: even though I had all the supplies, inspiration doesn't always strike or it strikes too often and I can't make up my mind. Thus, why I am just now posting this as oppose to about 3 weeks ago when I finished it :( If you are going to replicate this at home, I seriously suggest finding the picture, the pieces and the frame first and then giving yourself some time to put it all together... it was a nightmare trying to keep my toddler's hands away from it.

Once everything was in order, I got to gluing. I had a picture I was going to glue it to but didn't want to damage it, so instead, I put a piece of vellum over the photo and used regular Elmer's glue to stick the pieces on (hot glue might melt the vellum). I used a ruler to keep a straight line across the photo and used weights (i.e. books) to put some pressure on the tiles while they dried.

If you are using a regular frame like mine, and not a shadow box, I recommend putting little spacers between the matting so that there isn't a space between the frame and the matting where the tiles hit the glass. I am super glad that inspiration struck when it did, because it makes a world of difference! Here is the final result:

Creation
I was very excited for how it turned out and can't wait to try some other Scrabble projects in the future. In the next post I will show you how I hung it on my gallery wall with just a coke tab (another Pinterest idea). Thank you Remodelaholic for the inspiration!



No comments:

Post a Comment